Are you wondering what is the right way to clean the mattress? Are you confused about how often should you clean it? Thinking why you must clean the mattress at all? Well, the mattress has a key role to play in promoting good night’s sleep.
So, when the mattress is soiled, you will have to take extra precautions to eliminate awful smells and stains from your mattress to have a better sleep. Since your sleep depends on it, you cannot take risks and delay the cleaning process.
Let’s face it, we all change, and wash sheets every week. However, when it comes to a mattress, we don’t give the same level of care. We often forget to clean the mattress; this is a huge mistake. Cleaning your mattress is not a challenging task. You can easily do it on your own and you will not require professional help.
In this post, we have created a guide to help you clean your mattress efficiently and effectively. Read on to know some tips and tricks of cleaning mattresses.
Before we can move onto the methods to clean your mattress, you need to understand why it is important to clean your mattress. Have a look!
- Reasons to Clean Your Mattress
- How Often Should You Clean Your Mattress?
- Signs That Shows You Need to Clean the Mattress
- Cleaning Various Types of Mattresses
- Stain Removal Kit
- How to Eradicate Bed Bugs, Mold, and Dust Mites?
- How To Eliminate Odor From Your Mattress?
- When You Should Not Waste Time Cleaning Your Mattress ?
- Tips And Tricks For Cleaning Your Mattress
- A Final Word
Reasons to Clean Your Mattress
From sweating at night to your skin shedding, there are numerous reasons why you need to clean your mattress. We have mentioned the top reasons to clean the mattress.
1. Better Air Quality
Everyone is worried about the quality of air in the city, but what about the air in your home? It might be a surprise, but our mattress holds up a lot of dust. This is the reason why our bedroom has a bad quality of air.
Moreover, a dusty mattress is the reason why several people suffer from allergies throughout the year. In order to avoid allergic reactions and to stay healthy, it is advised to frequently clean your mattress.
2. Eliminate Dust Mites
Not many people know that on average, a human shed one and a half pounds skin every year. Without a doubt, we spend nearly a third of our lives sleeping. This means that some of our skin reaches the mattress. Our dead skin is food for dust mites.
So, if you haven’t cleaned your mattress in a long time, it means you have company. You might be sharing your bed with a plethora of dust mites. This also has an adverse impact on your health. It is why you should turn on the vacuum cleaner and get to it.
3. Stay Healthy
When your mattress is not clean, it consists of a lot of dirt and dust. Every time you toss and turn at night, you will be breathing in all the dust. This will make your good night’s sleep into one of the worst sleeps. For someone who is allergic to dust, it might take its toll on your respiratory system.
The dust mites present in your mattress might cause an asthma attack at nighttime. This is why it is imperative to keep your mattress clean and allergen-free.
4. Thriving Conditions for Bacteria
Want to know something more disgusting than sharing your bed with dust mites? Bacteria, the mattress that is not cleaned for a long time is likely to become breeding ground for bacteria. We all know that we sweat at night and the moisture goes into the mattress. The moist area on your mattress attracts bacteria. So, if you don’t clean your mattress, you will probably not only be sharing your bed with dust mites but with bacteria as well.
5. For Having Restorative Sleep
Everyone knows the feeling on the fresh and clean sheets is one of the best feelings. Wouldn’t it be great to sleep on a clean and tidy mattress? So, keep your mattress clean to have the same fantastic feeling. You can have a better-quality sleep knowing that you are not sleeping on dust mites, dead skin, and much more.
6. Avoid Skin Problems
If you have sensitive skin, it is advised that you should clean your mattress regularly. The existence of insects, dust mites, and other dirt can irritate your skin. It can lead to many skin problems like redness, itchiness, and rashes. This is why you should clean your sheets every week and your mattress every 3 months.
7. Extends the Life of Your Mattress
When it comes to extending the life of your mattress, there is no better way than regular cleaning. By deep cleaning your mattress, you will be keeping all the contaminants away. It will help in keeping the fiber of your mattress intact.
8. Eliminates Odors and Stains
Since we spend a lot of time on our beds, it is normal that there will be stains and a terrible smell coming from the mattress, especially if you don’t clean your mattress. When you clean your mattress, it will remove the stains and get rid of the odor as well. This will ensure you have a fresh and clean mattress. It helps in preserving the value of your mattress.
9. Enhance the Overall Look of Your Room
When you clean your mattress frequently, you can enhance the appeal of your room. This is because you will change and clean your bed every week. It will make your bed look fresh, beautiful, and clean. People will like to visit your home when it is clean.
How Often Should You Clean Your Mattress?
Most of us don’t focus on the mattress and whatever that is living in it. All we are concerned with is the clean sheets. The bedding should be washed once a week. This is to make sure sweat, fluids, and oil don’t reach the mattress. When it comes to pillows, it must be cleaned after every six months. As far as the mattress is concerned, it should be cleaned twice in a year or once in every season.
There are certain factors that you need to keep in mind. If you are allergic, you must clean and disinfect the mattress regularly.
Signs That Shows You Need to Clean the Mattress
By paying attention to these signs, you will know when it is time to deep clean the mattress.
1. Not Cleaned Your Mattress Yet
One of the most obvious signs is that you haven’t cleaned your mattress. Whether you have not cleaned the mattress at all or in a while, you must clean it thoroughly. This will make sure you have a fresh-smelling and nice-looking mattress. So, you should not miss the cleaning schedule.
2. Symptoms of Allergy Gets Worst at Night
If your allergy symptoms get worse at night or the first thing in the morning, this might be a sure way to know your mattress is dusty. You might inhale the dust that is build up inside your mattress. So, it might be the perfect time to get rid of dust and dirt in the mattress.
3. Bug Bites
In case you wake up with bug bites, you might have a huge problem. Your bed must have been infested by bed bugs. Knowing for sure in the early stages is difficult. Getting rid of them is not going to be easy. So, if you spot a bed bug or wake up with bug bites, you need to resolve this matter as soon as possible.
4. Awful Smell
When your mattress starts to smell bad, it is a clear indication that your mattress requires cleaning. Whether the odor is from dust build up or the bodily fluids, a terrible smell coming from the mattress is not good. It is crucial for you to deep clean the mattress and even deodorizes it.
5. Stains on Mattress
The most obvious and common sign that your mattress needs cleaning is the visible stains. It is not necessary that you should know where the stain came from. The visibility of the stain is more than enough for you to realize that it is time to clean the mattress.
What if you tried to remove and it didn’t work? Don’t worry, read further to know how to remove stains from the mattress.
Cleaning Various Types of Mattresses
By now, it must be clear for everyone that regular mattress cleaning is imperative for making sure the mattress is fresh and clean. It helps in increasing the longevity of the mattress. The most frequently asked question is how to clean a mattress.
There are numerous types of mattresses available on the market. Since every mattress is different, it requires different cleaning methods. This makes it challenging to know which cleaning method you should follow.
To help you clean the mattress properly, here are the cleaning methods you should use for every type of mattress. Keep in mind, you should mix them up.
1. Innerspring Mattress
Also known as a traditional mattress, this mattress doesn’t have any antibacterial or antiallergenic. It is why this type of mattress requires your constant care and attention. When it comes to cleaning the mattress, it is convenient and easy. Just follow these steps and clean your mattress.
• You can start the cleaning process by vacuuming the mattress. It is crucial that you clean all the sides, top, and bottom of the mattress. This is because it will help in eradicating dust mites and dirt completely.
• In a spray bottle, mix white vinegar and water in 1:2 ratio. Spray it all over the mattress and leave it for an hour or two.
• Then, soak a towel in warm water and wipe the mattress. This is to make sure all the soapy solution is cleaned.
• For eliminating the smell, you should sprinkle baking soda on the mattress. In case you spot any discoloration, you need to rub the baking soda using a soft bristle brush. You should leave it for an hour.
• In the end, vacuum the mattress and let it air dry it.
2. Memory Foam Mattress
If you have a memory foam mattress, cleaning it can be full of hassles. However, with these tips, you can easily clean the mattress. It is advised to use a mattress cover for protecting your mattress.
• The first step is to remove the cover and wash it. You should follow the instructions mentioned on the label.
• Then, you must vacuum the mattress. Keep in mind, you need to follow a gentle circular motion. This is because you don’t want to damage the surface of the mattress.
• After that, you have to make a cleaning solution. To make the cleaning solution, you will need to mix water with a mild detergent. The amount should 2:1. Then, pour the solution in a spray bottle and use it on the mattress.
• Leave the mattress for some time so it can air out.
• After the mattress is dry, take baking soda and sprinkle it on the mattress and leave it overnight.
• Now, you can vacuum your mattress to get rid of baking soda.
3. Latex Mattress
Another type of mattress many people own is latex. This is an expensive mattress but extremely comfortable. It is one of the reasons why you have to be extra careful when cleaning the mattress. The slightest mistake can cost you a lot.
Lucky for you, you don’t have to worry about anything. There is good news for you; latex mattress is simple and easy to clean using ingredients that are already available at your home.
• In a bowl, mix mild soap, 3 to 4 drops in warm water. You have to stir it to make soap bubbles.
• Take a white clean cloth and dip it in the mixture and clean the mattress. You have to make sure that you squeeze excess water before cleaning the mattress.
• After that, you must take another white cloth and dip it in just warm water. With this cloth, you need to clean the soapy solution.
• Then, leave it to dry. You should not, under any circumstance, leave it under direct sunlight.
Removing Stains from the Mattress
One of the most common types of issues you face is stains on the mattress. When you drink or eat on your bed, accidents happen. There are chances of liquid getting spilled or food falling on your mattress. This is something that happens to the best of us. Though it is common, it leaves a nasty smell and stains.
There are several kinds of stains and different ways are used to remove them. Here is how you can remove the most common types of stains.
The most difficult and challenging stain you have to get rid of is blood. The trickiest blood stain to remove is dried and old blood. This is why you should not wait for a long time to deal with blood stains. If you have noticed a blood stain that is old, it will take a couple of tries before you can remove it or make it less noticeable.
Whether you are dealing with fresh blood stain or an old one, we have mentioned the ways to get rid of the unattractive stain.
Cleaning Old Blood Stains
Removing old or dried blood stains can be challenging and can test your patience. There are chances that you might have to repeat the process a couple of times. Even after trying this method, there is no assurance the blood stain will come off. The stain might become less noticeable.
The best way to dried blood stain is by using hydrogen peroxide. Since it is a bleaching agent, you should use it carefully.
• In a bowl, add one tablespoon of salt, two ounces of hydrogen peroxide, and four ounces of cornstarch. Stir the mixture well to make a paste.
• Apply this mixture onto the stained area.
• When blood comes in contact with this mixture, it will foam up. This is why you need to blot it quickly. It will help in removing a large portion of stain.
• After that, you need to add another layer of the paste. Now, you have to leave it to dry.
• After the paste is dried, remove the paste.
• Once you scrape it, you can vacuum the mattress.
• Keep in mind, you must repeat the process if the stain is still there.
Removing Fresh Blood Stain
There are two ways to eliminate fresh blood stains from your mattress. You can use the one that is convenient for you.
With Salt and Water
• In ounces of water, mix 2 teaspoons of salt.
• Add the mixture into a spray bottle. Keep in mind you should not use warm water.
• Then, spray the solution on the stained area and blot it using a cloth. This is to ensure that excess moisture is removed.
• You can repeat this process again if the stain didn’t come off.
• Once, you get rid of blood, you can rinse it with a damp cloth. Then, use absorbent pads to absorb extra moisture and to dry it.
With Baking Soda
• In a bowl, mix four ounces of baking soda and 20 ounces of cold water.
• Take a clean cloth to apply the solution on the stain.
• Let it settle down for at least 30 minutes.
• Using a damp cloth, you need to rinse the area.
• For absorbing excess moisture, you need to use a dry towel. After that, air dry the mattress.
Without a doubt, everyone sweat when they sleep because it is just the way our body functions. We all sweat at night and this is something that we have to deal with. Your sweat leaves a stain on the mattress and that sight is not so pleasant.
Now, there are several ways to get rid of the stain from your mattress. You can follow the method that you find easy and convenient.
• First of all, you need to dampen the stained area with water.
• Add a little amount of borax on the stained part of the mattress.
• Then, use a white cloth and rub borax in a circular motion.
• Let it dry and after that, you need to vacuum the area.
• You can repeat the process if required.
Using Baking Soda, Liquid Soap, and Hydrogen Peroxide
• Take 8 ounces of hydrogen peroxide, a drop of liquid soap, and 3 tablespoons of baking soda in a bowl or bottle.
• Mix it well and spray it on the stains.
• Give it some time to settle down for 5 to 10 minutes.
• You will need absorbent pads to blot the residue.
• Air dry the mattress.
Whether you got late to take your dog for a walk, or your kid is not well potty-trained, urine can leave a stain. As far as removing it is concerned, it might require a lot of effort as you will have to tackle not only the stain but the smell as well.
Things might get messy if you don’t have a mattress protector. But don’t worry, we have mentioned the best ways to remove the stain of urine. Take a look!
Eliminating Old Urine Stain
It is advised to act on accidents as quickly as possible. If you leave a urine stain untreated for a long time, it can permanently damage your mattress. Here is a way to remove the stain of dried urine; however, there is no guarantee that it will work.
Using Baking Soda and Vinegar
• Take equal quantities of warm water and vinegar.
• Mix it well in a spray bottle.
• Spray the mixture on the stained area and blot it dry.
• Then, sprinkle baking soda on it and it will help in absorbing the smell.
• It is better to let it stay overnight.
• Then, vacuum it the next morning to get rid of baking soda.
Getting Rid of Fresh Urine Stains
When it comes to fresh urine stains, it is extremely easy. Though cleaning urine stains is not we all want to do every day, it is something you should do as soon as possible. This will eliminate the need to deal with dried up urine.
Hydrogen Peroxide and Baking Soda
• First of all, you need to soak the urine with a clean cloth.
• Then, mix eight ounces of hydrogen peroxide with three tablespoons of baking soda.
• Use this solution on the stain of urine. It is better to use a spray bottle.
• After that, let the solution dry. You can apply baking soda to the stain, just to be on the safe side.
• It is recommended to leave it overnight. Next morning, use a vacuum to clean the mattress.
• Blot the urine using paper towels. You should try to soak up as much urine as possible. It is advised to put on pressure for absorbing the urine.
• Take onepart of white vinegar and mix it with two portions of lukewarm water.
• Pour this mixture in a spray bottle and use it on the urine stain.
• After that, you should blot it again.
• In case, there is an odor and stain are noticeable, you can repeat the process again.
• Once you are done with it, let the mattress dry.
• Then, use water to wash the residual solution. Keep in mind you don’t have to wet the mattress excessively. Afterward, blot it to dry.
Having a furry friend is the best feeling in the world. It is our responsibility to take good care of our pets. This might seem easy; however, it is much more challenging than it seems. It requires you to provide food, take them for a walk, and even clean their accidents.
Just imagine, you left your dog alone at home and when you come back, you find a wet spot on your bed. Obviously, you cannot sleep on it. Since the urine of your pet is toxic, you will need an enzyme cleaner. So, here is what you have to do to clean your mattress.
• Take a clean cloth and soak up as much as possible.
• You have to apply the enzyme-based cleaner on the stain.
• After that, leave it for 10 to 15 minutes.
• Use an absorbent pad to blot the enzyme cleaner.
• Then, leave the mattress to air dry.
• In case this doesn’t work well the first time, you can repeat it.
The most disgusting stain on your mattress can be of vomit. We all know it is never on purpose. If someone pukes on your mattress, keep in mind they are probably feeling much worse than you are. Cleaning a vomit is never fun, it is extremely disgusting. But you have to do, so follow these steps for cleaning the vomit stains.
• First things first, you need to get rid of all the solid parts. This is the hardest part when cleaning vomiting stain.
• After that, you need to take off the sheets and everything as well that has vomited on it.
• You need to wash everything at high temperature.
• Take a dry cloth and soak up the liquid form vomit.
• You need to absorb as much as you can. Keep in mind that you should not rub the stain.
• Add hydrogen peroxide on the stain and don’t soak the mattress.
• Leave it for 5 minutes and then, use a dry towel to blot it.
• Pour baking soda on the mattress and leave it overnight.
• Vacuum the mattress the next morning.
5. Other Types of Stains
For efficiently cleaning your mattress, you need to figure out what caused the stain. We have listed some other types of stains you can get on your mattress and how you can clean them.
1). Red dyes, Deodorants, and Water-Soluble Body Waste
The best examples of this type of stain are different kinds of red dye like ink or watercolor, antiperspirants, non-chocolate candy, deodorants, and sweat. For eliminating the stain caused by these, you can use a solution of detergent and water.
2). Gums and Oxidizing Oils
Coconut oil, castor oil, butter, olive oil, or any other types of vegetable oils along with asphalt, rubber, chewing gum, cement. To remove these stains, you need to use dry cleaning solvents.
Anything that is oil or grease based like crayons, wax, body lotions, and lubricating oils. The best way to remove this type of stains is by using dry cleaning solvents.
4). Tannin and Glucose
It includes alcoholic beverages, berries, fruit juices, dark-colored sodas, tea, colored vinegar, black coffee, and many more. Removing the stains of hot liquids that have tannin is extremely challenging. To get rid of the stains, you might have to use detergent and vinegar solutions. There is a chance that you would have to apply the solution for more than one time.
5). Plastics and Resin
Perfect examples are cuticle oils, lacquer, varnish, contact cement, plastic glue, and nail polish. An ideal way to remove the stains of resin and plastic is by using dry cleaning solvents.
6). Inks, Pigments, and Dyes
Example of this type of stain is inks, pigments, non-red dyes, food coloring, and gentian violet. Cleaning these stains is convenient and simple. You will only need a solution of water and detergent.
7). Protein and Starch
The examples of starch and protein stains include egg whites, glue, mouthwash, mucous, and bodily discharge. For getting rid of these stains, you will need lukewarm water with enzyme-based cleaning agents.
It can include any type of liquid medicine like iodine, penicillin, and silver nitrate. For cleaning these stains, you are required to get special chemical treatment. You will need a sodium thiosulfate solution to deeply clean the mattress.
This type of stain includes oil-based ingredients such as ice cream, mayonnaise, chocolate, egg yolk, pudding, and cheese. In order to clean these stains, you will dry cleaning solvents.
Stain Removal Kit
When it comes to cleaning your mattress, you can always get professional help. However, why would you waste your money when you can do it yourself. With these tools, you will not need professional help. Most of these thing items will already be in your home. A great thing about this stain removal kit is that it can be used for cleaning furniture as well.
Tools You Need
• Mixing bowls
• Absorbent pads
• Medicine droppers
• Rubber gloves
• Acids and alkalis
• Dull Knife
• Small tamping tool
• Enzyme products
1. Mixing Bowls
One of the most important things you need when cleaning your mattress is the mixing bowls. There are different types of bowls available on the market. Since you will be creating cleaning solutions using various cleaning agents, it is necessary that you get either ceramic or plastic bowl. It is best to avoid using metal bowls. This is because you never know which chemical might react with it. So, it is better to stay safe.
2. Medicine Droppers
Medicine droppers are crucial as you will have to measure the chemicals properly. This is because it can make or break a moment. The reason is that you don’t want to end up using too much chemical and ruin your mattress. Hence, a medicine dropper will ensure that you don’t use a lot of chemicals.
3. Rubber Gloves
The most important thing to keep in mind is safety. It is something you should never compromise on. This is why having rubber gloves are essential. Are you wondering which type of gloves you will need? Well, a utility variety or kitchen gloves are perfect.
The only thing that matters is that gloves should be of rubber. The main purpose of having gloves is to protect your hands from toxic and harsh chemicals. So, rubber gloves are an ideal choice to protect your hands.
4. Acids and Alkalis
There are some ingredients that you can mix with water to remove stains.
• Lemon Juice– One such ingredient is lemon juice. There is no doubt that it has refreshing properties. Furthermore, it helps in removing stains as well. A plus point is that it doesn’t have a strong smell like vinegar. While the level of acidity is the same.
• Ammonia Solution– This solution is extremely useful as you can use it with water or detergent solutions. It will help in getting rid of stains more effectively.
• Vinegar– Whether you want to eliminate odor or stains, vinegar is must-have an item in your kit. You can mix it with water or detergent solution.
5. Dull Knife
Are you thinking why you need a dull knife? Well, it will help in eliminating extra dirt from the surface instead of smearing it further. It’s no brainer that you need a knife that is dull. You don’t want to cut your damage your mattress accidentally.
You will need several lubricants to remove two types of stains; water-borne and greasy stains. The water-borne stains can be partially eliminated using water. It might include:
• Pre-treatment sprays
In case there is an oily or greasy stain on your mattress, you will need a lubricant that will loosen up the hold of the stain. When using lubricants for greasy stains, you will have to wash it off using a dry solvent. The best examples of lubricants for greasy stains are mineral oil and dry spotter.
Though you might not need it often, it must be in your stain removal kit. You should be very cautious when you are using bleach. It is because bleach is a harsh chemical that might cause more damage than good. This is why it is recommended to use it moderately and for the specifically mentioned time. Before you use bleach on your mattress, you need to check the label on your mattress whether it is bleach safe or not.
• Chlorine bleach– it is harsh, so it calls for a controlled application. This means that you will need a medicine dropper to administer the quantity. An excellent way to use bleach is by mixing it will water.
• Hydrogen Peroxide– this is a good stain remover and should be in your kit.
• Sodium perborate– it is an alternative for hydrogen peroxide. The difference is that it is less harsh then hydrogen peroxide. It will provide the same result but might take a little longer to work. Additionally, it will need more washing treatment.
8. Absorbent Pads
This is a versatile tool that you can use for almost everything. When you are choosing absorbent pads, you should keep in mind it must be white and have absorptive powers. The reason they must be white is that the colored ones might leave color. Thus, it will even create a bigger stain.
There are different types of absorbent pads, the most common ones include paper towels, tissues, cloth, sponges, and cotton.
9. Small Tamping Tool
Though a spoon or a brush can work as well. However, you can use a tamping tool for tapping the stained area. This is useful for reducing the hold of a stain. You have to keep in mind that you should only use it on tight-woven fabrics. This is because it can cause damage to delicate fabrics.
One of the most important supplies in the stain removal kit is solvents. This is because they will help in eradicating stains. Some of the solvents that you should have in the kit include:
• Rubbing alcohol- it must be unscented and uncolored
• Grease and paint removers
• Dry cleaning solvents
• Detergent- a mild dishwashing detergent
• Nail polish remover with acetone or Amyl acetate
11. Enzyme Products
For stains containing starch or protein, you might need an enzyme cleaner to break it down. The enzyme products that you should have in your stain removal kit are:
• Pet stain remover
• Laundry detergent with enzyme cleaners
• Enzyme presoaks
How to Eradicate Bed Bugs, Mold, and Dust Mites?
Let’s face it, stains are disgusting and unpleasant. But there is something more terrifying and dreadful. What if someone you get to know that something is living inside your mattress? Petrifying, right? Well, if you haven’t cleaned your mattress in quite some time or ever, there are chances you are not sleeping alone. You have the company of bed bugs, dust mites, or mold.
Are you thinking about how you can eliminate them? Don’t worry, we are here to help you.
1. Eliminating Dust Mites
Though they are not visible to the naked eye, dust mites might have made your mattress their home. This creepy crawlies are not good to have because they can promote allergies. They can even impact your sleeping experience and make your bed not a pleasant place to sleep. So, how do you remove dust mites from your mattress ?
One of the weaknesses of dust mites is that they don’t respond well to temperature changes. This means that you can either heat them up or freeze them. Well, of course, it is impossible to place your mattress in a freezer, you can use heat to get rid of them.
The best way to heat them up is by steaming. It is advised to use a steam cleaner after a couple of months. Moreover, it is a good practice to vacuum your mattress frequently. It is also good to wash your sheets at high temperature.
2. Removing Mold from Your Mattress
The only reason for mold to develop on your mattress is that you left it dirty, wet, and untreated for a long time. It is time to act fast and start cleaning the mattress. There are chances that the issue has not yet reached to the bottom. If this is the case, there is still hope for your mattress.
Follow these simple steps to eliminate mold from your mattress.
• The first step is to vacuum your mattress from both the sides.
• After that, you need to disinfect the mattress. You can mix water and rubbing alcohol to make a disinfecting solution.
• Then, you will need a clean cloth. Dip this cloth in the mixture and rub the area of the mold.
• An important thing you need to keep in mind is that you should not rub it harshly. You should be gentle as you don’t want to damage the fabric.
• Let the mixture dry by taking it out under direct sunlight. Leave it there for a few hours or until it is completely dry.
• Once it is dry, you need to spray the disinfectant solution again.
• Now, you must cover your mattress and ensure it doesn’t saturate.
• You have to make sure it is dry completely.
3. Getting Rid of Bed Bugs
What can be worse than having bed bugs in your mattress? In recent times, the number of bed bug infestation is increasing. There are different ways that can lead to bed bug infestation. Not cleaning your mattress can be one reason for it. There is a chance that you picked up this hitchhiker from a hotel.
No matter where the bed bug came from, you need to immediately start cleaning your mattress. Efficiency is not important when it comes to bed bugs. You need to be persistent and thorough. Are you confused how will you know your mattress is infested or not?
Have a look at some of the most common signs of bed bug infestation.
• Itchy and red bumps or rashes on your skin.
• You found a live bed bug on or near your bed.
• Tiny bloodstains on the bed.
• The dark spot on your bed and sheets. These are probably molted shells or feces of bed bugs.
Now you know how to figure out whether your mattress is infested or not. Let’s see how you can get rid of them.
First of all, you should stay calm. There is no reason to panic; you need to take everything and wash it. Everything includes pillows, blankets, clothes, curtains, and beddings. If you have any stuffed toys, you need to make sure you wash them as well in the washing machine. It is recommended that you should wash everything for 30 minutes on a hot setting. This is more than enough to kill the live bugs and their eggs too.
Your mattress is the breeding ground for bed bugs, and you are their main food source. This is the reason why they need to stay close to you. After you have the removed the sheets, you need to vacuum your mattress. It will be better if you vacuum your whole bedroom. You need to pay special attention to the crevices, folds, and creases. Once you are done the vacuuming, you need to throw away the vacuum bag.
Search and Eliminate
When you are trying to get rid of bed bugs, you must understand that the bugs know how to hide. These bugs know the perfect hiding spot. This is why many infestations can’t be noticed until its too late. In order to completely eradicate the bed bugs, you have to find them.
You can use a flashlight and start looking for them in every corner. It is essential that you have a vacuum within easy access to immediately deal with unwanted guests. Your focus should not only be your mattress but other furniture as well. This is because the bed bugs might move to other places if they feel the mattress is overcrowded. So, you should look twice at the bed frame and nightstand.
Kill them with Heat
For those who don’t know, bed bugs are sensitive to heat. This is the reason why heat is the best way to kill them is by steaming the furniture pieces. You should pay attention to everything, from crevices to walls, and har to get places. You will be shocked to see how intelligent the bugs are as far as hiding is concerned. There is no need to hurry through the process. It is recommended to be thorough when it comes to the steaming process. Take your time and steam everything to make sure no bed bug is alive. This will even decrease the chances of re-infestation of bed bugs.
Once you have done everything, from washing to steaming, there is only one more thing left to do. You should invest in a mattress encasement. This to be on the safe side; just to reduce the risk of infestation in the future. What if you missed a bed bug? After a few months, the mattress will be infested again. So, it is better to be safe than sorry.
Wondering how mattress encasement will keep you safe from another infestation? The mattress encasement is an excellent way to protect your mattress. It will prevent the bed bugs from coming in and out of the mattress. This will keep them from feeding, starving them to death. An important thing is that you need to at least keep the mattress encasement on for a year.
How To Eliminate Odor From Your Mattress?
Let’s face it, sleeping on a smelly mattress is not a good sleeping experience. No matter how good smelling your sheet is, it will not change the terrible smell coming from your mattress. If you think ignoring it will not make it go away, then you are wrong. Doing this will only make the smell worse. It will have an adverse effect on your comfort and sleep quality.
What is the first thing you will do when you notice a terrible smell? Of course, it is to get the deodorizing products from the store. This is a mistake as it will not eliminate the source problem instead it will just mask the smell with a chemical and strong smell.
So, how you can get rid of the odor? There are numerous ways to effectively eradicate the smell and its source. Follow these tips to keep your mattress fresh smelling and odor-free.
First, you need to air out the mattress. For this, you can leave it outside in for a couple of hours. If this doesn’t help, you can use these tips.
Without a doubt, vinegar has a strong smell that can be overpowering. Fortunately, when it comes to natural deodorizers, white vinegar is an ideal choice. Using the vinegar is extremely simple. All you have to do is add vinegar in a spray bottle and spray it on the mattress. You can even apply it specifically to the problem area.
An important thing to keep in mind is that you need to make sure you don’t overdo it. You don’t have to soak your mattress in vinegar. Once you have applied it, you need to open the windows. You should not place the mattress directly under sunlight. By opening the window, you will not only allow the mattress to dry but it will eliminate any smell as well.
As far as smell is concerned, it will not linger for a long time; it will evaporate after a few hours.
Use Baking Soda
One of the best ingredients that you can use for odor removal is baking soda. This will cover the awful smell that comes from the mattress along with absorbing it. In addition, using baking soda is a wonderful way of balancing the pH levels. A good thing about this tip is that you will not be needing any extra ingredient. Baking soda is already in your house as it is commonly used in the kitchen.
When it comes to using baking soda, it is quite simple. All you have to do is remove the sheets and add baking soda to the mattress. Keep in mind that baking soda will not cause any damage to the fabric. So, you can be generous when using baking soda.
It is advised to let it sit overnight and clean it in the morning. This anexcellent method to eliminate odor from the mattress only if you have a spare mattress. In case you don’t have an air mattress or an extra mattress, you can let it sit for an hour or two. After that, you can vacuum it in the morning.
When You Should Not Waste Time Cleaning Your Mattress ?
At times, you cannot get rid of the stains or smell from your mattress; the damage is irreversible. Even with this comprehensive guide, you might not be able to completely clean your mattress. At that point, you have to accept defeat as there is nothing much you can do.
So, what should you do? You can save your time and effort by not spending time cleaning it. Instead, you can focus on another useful task of choosing the best new mattress. Wondering how do you know it is time to call it quits? We have mentioned the list of stains that will not come off, so you should not bother cleaning them. This is because some stains have a permanent effect on fabrics.
• Very old urine stains
• Furniture stain
• Stains from strong alkalis like drain or oven cleaner
• Stomach acid
• Epoxy cement
• Plant food
• Disinfectants and germicides
• Very harsh cleaning agents such as bathroom cleaner
• Acne creams and medicine containing benzoyl peroxide
Tips And Tricks For Cleaning Your Mattress
Here are some easy tips and tricks you need to follow to protect and clean mattress.
Image source: ASeepyWolf.com
1. Reducing the Dirt– You should protect your mattress by using mattress pads and linings before the fresh sheets. This will reduce the dirt to a minimum by the time it reaches the mattress.
A great thing about this is that you can wash the protective layers that you add easily. In addition, it will prevent dirt and dust from getting to the mattress. This is an excellent way to keep your mattress fresh and germ-free.
2. Vacuuming the Mattress– Once a month it is advised to vacuum the mattress. This is helpful for sucking out the dust mites. You can do it through crevice tool, this makes it easy to clean out the dirt from tight places.
When using adapters, you have to make sure they are clean. This is because you don’t want to introduce from bacteria to your mattress rather than eliminating them.
3. Getting Rid of Odor– For eliminating the bad smell, you can use baking soda. It will draw out stains, terrible smells, and dirt from the mattress. It is advised to leave soda for 6 hours, this to ensure it works its magic.
4. Flipping the Mattress– It is recommended that you must flip the mattress periodically. This is to ensure the dust is not accumulated on the mattress. It is also useful for retaining the shape of the mattress. You can flip your mattress every three months.
In case you have a pillow top mattress, you should rotate it from top to bottom after every 6 months.
5. Get a Mattress Cover-For protecting your mattress, it is advised to buy a mattress cover. This will help in keeping it safe from moisture and dirt. Additionally, it will prevent the growth of mildew and mold.
6. Regularly Changing the Sheets– It is advised to change the sheets of your mattress regularly so there is no buildup of dust and dirt. For cleaning the sheets properly, you need to wash it with bleaching agents. Then, wash it in the hottest setting to kill off the germs. Moreover, to remove stains, you can use a stain remover. After that, dry your sheets in the dryer to make sure there is no chance germs survive.
7. Once a Week is Good– When it comes to changing the sheets, once a week is a good rule to follow. This will prevent dust mites and dead skin from building up on the mattress. It will provide you a wonderful chance to check your mattress quickly.
It is advised not to put the sheets on the mattress until it is bedtime. This is because airing out the mattress is good for a mattress.
8. Sun the Mattress– Many people don’t know that your mattress is breeding ground for bugs and bacteria. This is why it is crucial to air your mattress. It is the perfect way to eliminate bugs from your mattress that thrive in dark and damp environment.
You should take your mattress out and leave it out in the sun for at least 6 hours. It is imperative to keep in mind that your mattress should be kept dry all the time. The mattress that is damp will become breeding ground for germs and bug.
In case you cannot leave it out, you can keep it close to an open window. This will allow the sunshine to work its magic and fresh air will remove odor.
9. Act Quickly on Stains and Spills– You have to keep in mind that most stains will become harder to get rid of if you leave them longer on the mattress. This is why it recommended to act immediately on spills or stains.
It is suggested that you should stand the mattress and then clean the area with a sponge. You must use cold water; keep in mind not to over wet the mattress because it is not waterproof. Then, blot it with a dry cloth.
10. Regularly Deep Clean Your Mattress-If you want to keep your mattress in top condition, then you need to make sure you follow regular deep cleaning schedule. You need to follow the proper steps to when washing the mattress. This is to make sure you are not causing any damage to it. Since there are different types of mattresses, it crucial to clean your mattress accordingly.
11. Clean the Bed Frame-When cleaning your mattress, you need to clean the bed frame and box spring as well. This is because the bugs might also be living there. If you don’t clean it, they will move to your mattress again.
12. Keep Moisture Away from the Mattress-You have to be extra careful when you are bringing any kind of liquid near the mattress if you have a memory foam mattress. It is better to avoid bring any liquid to your room.
Surely, a cup of coffee or tea in bed sounds like the perfect start of your day, but it can ruin your mattress. Nothing in life is definite, accidents do happen. So, it is better to keep liquids away from your expensive mattress than being sorry.
13. Have a Protector– For protecting your mattress, you need to buy a mattress protector. This is a wonderful way to ensure your mattress lasts for a long time. It will keep the mattress safe in case of accidents.
This will save you from a lot of trouble as you won’t have to remove the stains from the mattress instead, you will have to wash the protector. It is advised to get a waterproof one as it will keep your mattress safe from odors and bacteria as well.
14. No Food Rule– Just like no liquids, you should not bring food in the bedroom. This is because there is a risk of stains and unwanted visitors. You have to keep in mind that something simple as a snack can bring ants and cockroach to your bedroom. It is because a few crumbs can go unnoticed.
If you like to eat something when watching TV, then it is suggested to change your sheets more often; after a few days is recommended.
15. Check on Temperature– It is advised to have low temperature in your bedroom. This doesn’t mean that you must sleep in a cold room. You just have to slightly change the temperature. This will prevent you from sweating and even reduce the risk of mildew or mold growing.
16. Not Making Your Bed as Soon as you Get Up-A good news for those who don’t like making their bed first thing in the morning; it is advised not to make your bed as soon as you get up. It is good to leave your bed as it is for at least 30 minutes after you get up. You can get ready for work and leave the bed unmade. The longer you leave it, the better it is for your mattress. This is because it will give the odor and moisture to leave before you make your bed.
17. Cleaning Memory Foam-When you are cleaning memory foam mattress, you have to keep in mind that you should use a light cleaning solution and don’t wet the mattress too much. This will damage it.
18. Hydrogen Peroxide– It is a bleaching agent that will change the color of your mattress if you use it in excessive amounts. This is why you should be extra cautious when using hydrogen peroxide.
19. Freshening Up the Mattress– If you want to provide a fresh smell and look to your mattress, you can make a mixture using fabric softener and water. In a bowl, take four ounces of fabric softener and ten ounces of water. Just spray the mixture over the mattress and let it dry.
20. Disinfecting Mattress– You don’t have to buy a disinfectant. All you need is water and white vinegar. Mix water and white vinegar in a bottle and spray it on the mattress and let it air dry.
21. Removing Blood– When it comes to getting rid of the blood stain, it is tricky and daunting especially when it is dried. So, it is better to clean the blood stain when it is still fresh. Keep in mind, time is of the essence.
22. Not Using Warm Water When Removing Blood– When you are removing blood stains, it is advised to use cold water. This is because warm water will cook the protein in the blood. Instead of removing the stain, it will set it.
23. Cleaning Pet Urine– You should use enzyme-based cleaner because it will break down the uric acid that is toxic for you. It is better to disinfect your mattress as well. You can make it at home using vinegar and water.
24. Airing Out the Mattress– Though there are several methods to eliminate the smell from your mattress, the first step should be airing out the mattress. Leaving the mattress outside can work well for eliminating odor.
25. Vinegar– This is a wonderful ingredient and a common one that can be found in all households. It is great for disinfecting the mattress, eliminate odors, and clean stains. However, you need to make sure you use it moderately. It is advised to use White Vinegar when cleaning the mattress. If you don’t have white vinegar, you can even use apple cider vinegar.
26. Remove Horrible Smell– Vinegar is an excellent ingredient for removing any kind of smell. Since it is a natural ingredient, it will not harm your mattress. So, this means you can even use it every month or a week.
27. Divine Smell from Mattress– Though cleaning your mattress will help in getting rid of the odor and the source causing it. You can add a scented dryer sheet beneath the sheets, to have an exceptional sleeping experience.
28. Cleaning Mold– When you vacuum the mattress, you should not let spores spread. This is because it is a fungus. So, it is better to throw away the vacuum bag immediately.
29. Black Mold– If your mattress has black mold, then you must not waste your time and effort on cleaning the mattress. This is because the mold is much deep in the layers of the mattress. It is challenging to clean the mattress. This is why it is suggested to get a new mattress.
30. Seeking Bed Bugs– When your mattress is infested with bed bugs, you need to look for them. This is because they hide in different parts and often go unnoticed. When you are searching these bugs, looking just once is not enough. It is crucial that you look at every spot at least twice.
31. Killing Bed Bugs– The perfect way to kill the bed bugs is by treating them with heat. You can use a steamer to kill the bugs and their eggs. Don’t forget to steam the hard to reach places.
32. Steaming Your Mattress– When you are cleaning your mattress, it is better to steam clean after a few months. This is because it will kill the dust mites, and bed bugs if there are any.
33. Absorbent Pads– One of the most challenging tasks is to decide which absorbent pad you should use. Since there are different types of pads, it is best to use a paper towel, tissue, and sponges.
34. Spraying Bottle– It is a crucial tool that you will need for applying the cleaning solutions. The best spray bottle is made of plastic. This is because plastic will not have any reaction with the chemicals.
35. Getting Rid of Oily Stains– When you have to get rid of greasy or oily stains, you will need lubricants specifically developed for these stains. However, you have to wash it with the help of drying solvents. However, if you don’t wash it off, it will leave a yellow stain. Well, there will be no point of removing the stain.
36. Using Bleach– You must be extra careful when using bleach. The golden rule is less is more. You have to keep this on the top of your mind. You should not use large quantities of bleach and you certainly, should not increase the duration. This is because the nature of bleach is harsh, it means a bleach can easily ruin your fabric. You must not use it for more than 2 minutes. Avoid using it on delicate materials like spandex, wool, and silk.
37. Enzyme Cleaner– When you are buying an enzyme cleaner, you need to check the label of laundry detergent. It must be mentioned on the label that it is a protein remover. On the other hand, the enzyme presoaks should have a label that says pre-wash stain remover or stain-lift.
38. Doing a Test– It is advised to test a product before you use it on your mattress. When you check the label, it might state that it is suitable for stain removal method for mattresses. Mostly, they don’t take into account a certain solution. This means you will not know for sure until you try. There is a risk that you might ruin your mattress. So, it is necessary for you to test the product on a small fabric beforehand.
39. It is Crucial to Check Labels– When you are cleaning your mattress, you should check the labels. Whatever information you need, will be mentioned on it. Everything will be clearly stated, from materials used for your bed to cleaning solutions that are perfect for it. So, it is the most important step.
40. Bleach is Not Always the Answer– Many people use bleach as the best solution for their cleaning problems. However, it might not be your only cleaning agent. This is because it might not work well with several fabrics. With a doubt, bleach has wonderful disinfecting properties, yet you don’t want to use it on your mattress all the time. There are some materials that will not work with materials like silk, wool, and spandex.
41. Don’t Rub– When you are dealing with stains, you should not rub it. Rubbing helps in cleaning anything, but not mattresses. When you rub a stain on your mattress, it will spread the stain more. This is the reason why you should not rub until you are asked to. Sometimes, you are asked to rub the stain in a circular motion. You have to keep in mind, you should rub the stain gently. It is better to press, tamp, and blot instead of rubbing.
42. Never Mix Ammonia and Bleach– Keep in mind that you should never mix ammonia with bleach. This is because it will cause a chemical reaction that will create chlorine gas, a dangerous gas. You might have studied in your history class that it was used as a chemical weapon.
43. Keep Moisture Away– Water is one of the most used items in the cleaning process. This is because you will have to wash the cleaning agents with water. Moreover, you need to mix cleaning agents with water to make them less acidic. However, it doesn’t mean that you should wet it too much. It will be the worst thing that you can do to your mattress. So, you have to control the moisture. You should use liquid solutions moderately. After that, you must blot it using absorbent pads.
44. Clean in Ventilated Room– We all know that stain removal techniques require the use of harsh chemicals and strong-smelling cleaning solutions. This is the reason the room might have toxic fumes. It will have a direct impact on your health as it will irritate your respiratory tract, make you dizzy or feel lightheaded. It might even lead to a headache. To avoid all these, it is better to clean the mattress in a room that has good ventilation. It is crucial for you to get some fresh air.
45. Taking a Shower– It is recommended that you must make a habit of showering before bed. This is because the sweat and dead skin we take to our mattress will build up after years. It will make your mattress dirty and dusty. When you shower before going to bed, you will be able to have pristine and hygienic sleeping surface. In addition, you will not sweat more and will not even shed dead skin.
46. Use Thin Plastic Sheet– if you have pets or children, it is advised to have a plastic sheet under your bedsheet. This will help in preventing any mishaps. We all know how tiring and terrible it is to clean urine.
47. Never Sleep on Wet Mattress– when you clean your mattress using cleaning agents and water, it is better to dry it first. You can blot to dry the mattress. For speeding up the process, you can use either a hair dryer or a fan to quickly dry your mattress.
48. Cleaning Mattress Pad– You should wash the mattress pads as well. It is better to clean it after every 8 weeks. This is because it has direct contact with you.
49. When Going on a Vacation– When you are going on a vacation, you need to strip your bed, this is because it will provide your mattress ample time to air out.
50. When You Should Change Your Mattress– With proper care, a mattress can last for a long time period. Mostly, a mattress will not last for more than 10 years. So, if your mattress is more than 10 years old, you need to buy a new one.
A Final Word
Thanks to this guide, you will be a professional by now in mattress cleaning. You know the importance of mattress cleaning regularly. Furthermore, irrespective of the stain, you know the right way to tackle any problem. Since there are different methods for cleaning mattresses, now, you will not have a problem deciding which method is perfect.
Having a clean sleeping surface is extremely important as it will ensure you have restorative sleep. You will be able to sleep happy, and in the long run, you will be happier as your mattress will be clean. There are some changes that you should bring in order to make sure your mattress lasts for many years.
Having a clean mattress is great for staying healthy and happy. When your mattress is clean, you will not frequently wake up in the middle of the night, meaning you will have uninterrupted sleep. This means you will wake up feeling more energized, fresh, and relaxed. You will even improve the quality of the air in your bedroom.
In order to keep your mattress clean and extend the life of your mattress, you need to make some changes. It is better to follow no food and drinks on the bed rule. This will help in limiting the chance of accidents.
Therefore, no matter what changes you bring in your life, with these tips, you will be able to get the best out of your mattress.